Zoysia grass is super popular in the USA and it provides a great look to your small lawns. The texture and beauty of the Zoysia are just unique. However, besides its versatility, it is not easy to maintain. You need to select the proper mowing tool for this grass. For this reason, the best mower for zoysia grass should be your choice.
Now the question that arises here is, what is the best lawn mower for cutting zoysia grass? There are different lawn mowers like rotary mower, reel mowers, push mowers, self-pull-mowers, riding lawn mower etc. All these types are the best choice depending on the need for you wanting a mower.
However, to pick the best, you need to look at our top recommendations to work to their maximum and deliver a highly efficient job. Just keep reading.
Our Top Picks:
- Scotts Classic Reel Lawn Mower
- American Lawn Mower Company Reel Mower
- Reel Mower Fiskars Stay sharp Max
- Green-works 18-inch Reel Lawn Mower
- Craftsman Gas-Powered Rotary Lawnmower
Table of Contents
What is The Best Mower for Zoysia Grass?
Reel mower or Rotary Mower? Most people are confused between Rotary and Reel mowers. Let me explain this to you first. The rotary mower comes with a 2-cycle and 4-cycle powered gasoline engine. Rotary mowers have blades that cut the tops of grasses with great force.
While Reel mowers cut grasses in pairs of scissors, which leave a clean cut in the leaf. In these both mowers, we will recommend you Reel mower, which is best for Zoysia grass. Here in this revival, we will mention some of the best mowers for Zoysia grass with their features and pros and cons.
1. Scotts 5-Inch Blade Classic Reel Lawn Mower
The mower is super essential for Grass Cutting or making the grass small, and many brands are offering the best mower at an affordable price. This mower is a Scotts Outdoor power Tools Company brand, which is famous for its outdoor products.
The Classic Scotts blades are made from Alloy steel to stay sharp longer, having the lightweight of 2.2 pounds easy to operate. Classic Scotts are designed very decently and simply with a manual power source. You can also adjust their cutting of height for a clean cut.
Scotts Outdoor power Tools 5-Inch Blade Classic Reel Lawn Mower is one of the best power reel mowers for zoysia grass
- The five blades are made of heat-treated steel, making the cutting result more accurate, quick, and clean.
- The Classic Scotts have 20 cutting widths that cut grass in a wide area, saving time and effort.
- The Scotts are very easy to assemble; there is no tool to assemble this Scotts push reel mower.
- This will give easy height adjustment; you can cut the grass at your preferred height.
- They are pollution, Not creating noise which disturbs people.
- ·Customer service is Awesome
- You don’t need any fuel, gas, Battery.
- They are less expensive.
- Right quality material
- For tall grasses, it is not useful or for leaves shredding things.
2. American Lawn Mower Company Push Reel Mower
14″ 4-blades Push Reel Lawn Mower is one of the best mower for mowing zoysia grass.
This mower is a brand of American Mower company which is producing environmental mowers for every home. From 1895 the company was creating pollutant-free products. The American lawn Mower 14″ 4-Blades Push lawn mower blades are made of steel with a self-propelled power source. The weight of the machine is 20 pounds.
- The machine is easy to use, having lightweight.
- The machine has very low maintenance since it doesn’t have any motor.
- Emission-free, pollution-free, does not create any noise like other machines.
- The machine can cut the grass up to 4 inches tall.
- You don’t need more time to cut very fast than other machines.
- Good design with a lightweight.
- They have an affordable price.
- Best for smaller yards
- Having limited maintenance.
- Their warranty is only 90-days.
- It is not suitable for large grasses, struggles with large grass.
3. Reel Mower Fiskars 18 Inch Stay sharp Max.
Stay sharp reel mower work for cutting and trimming of grass. It offers a clean cut without having any hassles of Battery. Moreover, there is no loud engine voice, oil, and gas. Staysharp mower does look very good; the design is pretty simple and attractive. Staysharp mowers come with 52 lbs weight having a manual power source. This is one of my favorite mowers in Reel mowers.
- Staysharp mowers have three years of warranty from the purchase date.
- Advanced features in stay sharp, it is 60% easier to push than others mower.
- The mower does not require any Battery, oil, and gas.
- They don’t have any loud engines.
- Height adjustment, you can easily adjust the height of the mower to provide a clean-cut leaf.
- Also, having an easy setup, every user likes their design, which is relatively easy and straightforward to set the machine for cutting.
- The Staysharp is foldable. If you don’t have enough space, you can also fold it and adjust it in a short area.
- To stay sharp, you can easily adjust their blades.
- They have reliable quality and are well made.
- Customer service is excellent.
- Not creating a population by burning fuels.
- Peaceful and quiet, it will not make any noise or burning smell.
- It only works on a Perfect Lawn.
- U-turn is not easy in StaySharp.
4. Green-works 18-inch Reel Lawn Mower
Here we have the reel lawn mower from green works. The mower has a steel spiral design, and the blades will cut the grass quickly. For an efficient and quick machine, there are 18-inch cutting paths. Moreover, the mower has 2-in-1 feature rear bag and mulching capabilities. Furthermore, there are different height adjustments so that you can set the height according to your way.
The mower has 4 inch rear wheels, while it has a 10-inch front wheel for maneuverability. It also does not require any maintenance and regular tuning so that you can use it for a longer time without any hassle. Last but not least, the product comes along with four years of the warranty card.
- No gas features and there are zero fumes for easy use.
- You can adjust the heights up to 9 positions for cutting and trimming of grass.
- The lawnmower has a mulching and rear bag ability.
- The front wheel and rear wheel make it easy to carry and work efficiently.
- Four years of the warranty card
- Easy to use
- Large cutting path
- You may face a little issue with the angle of the mower.
5. Craftsman M275 Gas-Powered Rotary Lawnmower
Here we have a 159CC engine self-propelled gas-powered lawnmower. It can be auto choked, and the front wheel is self-propelled. Moreover, you can drive the front wheel with a single lever, and you can quickly accelerate the mower. The cutting deck has a 21-inch width that will offer to cut a wider area of gas in no time.
The mower has a dual-layer, and you can adjust the heights of trimming at six different positions. The mower has an 8-inch front wheel and 11 inch rear wheel made for durability and traction. The product has a two-year warranty. Overall it is the best gas-powered mower for zoysia grass.
- It is a great time saving gas-powered lawnmower from a well-known brand.
- The mower offers a broader area of cutting and will make all the cutting and trimming process quick.
- The gas-powered mower will offer a propulsion speed, and you can quickly move it without exerting so much effort.
- Moreover, you can get the speed of your choice for greater control and command on the mower.
- The mower also has mulching capabilities. Moreover, it has rear discharge and side discharge.
- Moreover, the mower has a versatile design that will make your work efficient and quick.
- You can quickly assemble it and start your work in no time.
- Easy to use
- Best gas- powered mower
- Easy assembly
How to Maintain a Zoysia Grass Lawn?
Zoysia grass is known for its beauty and versatility. However, it requires proper maintenance for its overall health. So there are many things to consider to maintain a zoysia grass lawn. For instance, it is best to water your zoysia grass every week with 1 inch of water.
Moreover, you need to do the proper trimming of the grass when it grows the 3-inch height. At 3 inch height, you can trim the grass to 1 or 2 inches according to your desire. Moreover, it is good to keep grass shorter in spring and longer in fall. Furthermore, the zoysia grass clipping use as fertilizer for grass. So after mowing, you can put clippings back in your lawn. Also, always do a scheduled trimming for the excellent health of your zoysia grass.
Never mow your zoysia grass in wet condition. When you mow it in a damp state, there will be more brown spots and fungus diseases. So always do mowing when your law is dry.
How to Pick The Best Mower for Zoysia Grass [Buying Guide]
Before you decide to buy a mower for zoysia grass please make sure you have all those features and characteristics of your chosen mower.
1. Number of Blades:
Blades play the most important role in cutting the grass. So, the number of blades must be kept in consideration, while buying a new mower. It is much suitable if you use a mower with more blades because it offers the cutting of grass more quickly and efficiently.
Weight is a crucial factor that must be kept in mind once you are buying a new mower. Mostly, for the larger lawns, heavy mowers are used, while for the smaller lawns, lightweight mowers are more suitable to be used.
Light Weight Mowers are easier to handle as compared to heavier ones, however, the durability of heavyweight mowers are much better than the others.
If you want to buy a mower that lasts long, then durability is a very key factor that must be taken into consideration, while buying a new mower.
The warranty of the mower is from 1 to 4 years. You must need to know that the mower, you are buying, is durable or not.
Maintenance of electric and power reel mower is far more costly than a manual mower. In a manual mower, you just need to sharpen the blades regularly, in order to get better results, however, the electric mower requires the replacement of the battery, motor, etc.
5. Size of wheel:
Mowers come with different sizes of wheels that allow a user to push the mower forward in order to cut the grass. The size of the mower’s wheel lies between 10 to 12 inches. According to experts, it is better to use a mower with larger wheels because it allows you to cut the thick grass very easily, and can be easily moved around the curvy surfaces.
The price of the mower matters a lot. A manual mower is cheaper than an electric motor. It is due to fact that you won’t use any sort of battery, oil, motors in a manual mower.
FAQs: Mowing a Zoysia Lawn
How high should you mow Zoysia grass?
Mowing the Zoysia grass is a bit tricky. But it can’t be disregarded as it is immensely significant to keep the grass unvaryingly consistent, beguiling, and most importantly, healthy. Zoysia grass mowing height and Zoysia grass mowing frequency are the basic parameters that one should keep in their minds while mowing it.
So what about mowing height? In terms of measurements, the Zoysia grass mowing height should be around 1 to 2 inches above the soil surface. If one prefers to mow the grass more than 2 inches, then the Zoysia grass mowing frequency should be kept low so that the zoysia roots stay intact. You might want to read our latest article: best lawn mowing shoes.
Should one bag Zoysia grass?
For ages, it has been said that leaving behind the large tufts of mowed grass can harm the rooted grass and plants by rotting them or by spreading disease. But around the 1990s, the concept of “grass-cycling” was introduced, which says that leaving the grass clippings on the lawn will assist in nourishing the rooted grass.
Grasscycling works best with a mulching mower that mows grass at a shorter length. Hence, the Zoysia grass clippings will decompose quicker. This helps one save both time and money. The Zoysia grass clippings will act as a natural and free fertilizer. You won’t have to spend hours handpicking huge thatches of grass and you’ll still have a tidy Zoysia grass lawn.
Does dog urine kill Zoysia grass?
Any grass, when is fertilized, the levels of its nutrients, especially nitratesare high. Even a bit of additional nitrate can highly damage the grass leaving ghastly yellow spots or worse, even kill it. Since dog food contains a high amount of salts and nitrogen, dog urine is fatal for Zoysia grass and even the other kinds.
The quickest solution to this is to pour water at the urine spots to reduce the urine’s nitrogen. Humic Green fertilizer suppliers have made a magical soil amendment treat called “Petigreen”, which when poured in the lawn, fights against dog urine. They promise you a wonderful lawn and a friend-pet both coexisting in harmony.
How do you thicken Zoysia grass?
Zoysia grass is a warm-season grass that blooms best during the hot months of the year. In order to achieve a bright, beautiful, and thick lawn carpeted with Zoysia grass, several steps must be taken which are as follows:
- Firstly, mow the whole lawn a couple of inches before the beginning of the hot weather, in order to wipe away the old debris of it that has decayed during the cold weather.
- Since Zoysia grass is fond of the sun, it needs lots of water to survive the heat. Once done with the mowing, the next step is to irrigate the area nicely without missing any spot. It must be ensured that the surface gains water at least 4 to 6 inches deep so that the roots stay highly hydrated. If it rains very often in your area, then you don’t need to worry about this step.
- After the irrigation is completed, it is then time to apply fertilizer all over the lawn when summer is at its peak (July-August)
- The thickness of the Zoysia grass should be measured every spring with the help of a hand-sized rake or detaching gardening tool. Any strand that is wider than ½ should be discarded.
Does Zoysia grass need a lot of water?
The water requirements for Zoysia grass aren’t much demanding, nor can be neglected. During the beginning of summer, Zoysia grass doesn’t need loads of water as the sun is a bit mild during this time. Just like that, the Zoysia grass needs an approx. of 2 to 3 inches of irrigation drainage to sustain the June July heat.
People who can’t keep up with their gardening routine, can drench the soil 6 to 8 inches deep thoroughly once a week instead of watering the Zoysia grass several times a week. Watering should be done carefully as excessive watering can turn out to be disastrous.
Can one mix Zoysia and Bermuda together?
The fact that yes, one can blend both Zoysia and Bermuda types of grass together. But visually, this would look like an immensely unpleasant mess. Both the grasses have different growth rates, height rates and both require different needs such as different water supplements. For instance, both the grasses flourish in the warm-season but Bermuda grows way quicker and aggressively as compared to the Zoysia.
Both the grasses will grow according to their personal growth rates and the lawn will have different patches with different grass lengths. Also, Bermuda is more sensitive to climatic changes. It can’t tolerate the cold weather and turns to debris sooner than the Zoysia grass. This change in the rate of decaying will also result in an abstract lawn, with some parts turned to thatches and some part with grass.
Zoysia grass is truly a gift of nature, thanks to its uniform color and texture. The Zoysia grass has an optimal heat and salt tolerance; therefore, it is imperative to take great care. They have a steady growth rate, and when maintained correctly, Zoysia grass majestically drapes your lawn with serenity and lusciously vibrant colors. It is so important to know the best way to cut zoysia grass and what is the best mower for zoysia grass. In this article, we try to focus on the best product hope you will be able to pick your best one.